5lbs Chicken Thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
1/2 T. Sea Salt
1 T. Smoked Paprika
1/2 T. Chile Powder
1 tsp. Chipotle Powder, adjust to taste
1- 15oz Jar Verde Salsa (I love "Xochitl", but use your favorite)
Head of Butter/Bibb Lettuce
Roasted Vegetables (I cut a combination of Bell Peppers, Zucchini, and Eggplant really small and roast with Garlic Powder, Sea Salt, Smoked Paprika, Chipotle Powder or "Northwoods Fire" and Olive Oil).
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add fat and distribute around the pot, to evenly coat bottom.
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs with sea salt, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, and chile powder.
- Add to hot pan, skin-side down; be sure not to crowd your pan or chicken will steam, rather than brown. Cook until browned, about 7-10 minutes.
- Flip chicken and pour salsa over the top. Put a lid on the dutch oven and transfer to preheated oven.
- Cook chicken for at least 75 minutes, until chicken begins to fall off the bone. I’ve cooked the chicken for up to 2.5 hours, which only made it more tender.
- When ready to serve, remove the meat from the bones, discarding the skin, and shred the meat. Set the chicken aside and stir in salsa, left in the dutch oven, to moisten.
- Serve shredded with your favorite sides, for a flavorful lettuce-wrapped taco.
-If using a Crock Pot: After Step #3- Add the seasoned chicken thighs to a crock pot. Pour salsa over the top and put a lid on it. Follow manufacturer’s instructions and cook until falling off the bone; time will vary depending upon temperature.