6lbs Acorn Squash (we used 4- 1.5lb squash), cut in half and seeds removed
14 Dates, pitted and chopped into small pieces
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
3/4 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Chipotle Powder
1.5 tsp. Fenugreek
1.5 tsp. Sea Salt
2.5 T. Coconut Oil
- Preheat an oven to 400°F. To a baking sheet, add 1/4 cup of water and place the squash halves cut side down. Roast until a thin knife easily pierces the squash, about 20-25 minutes (depending on size).
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the Date-Spice rub/smear:
- Microwave dates and 1/4c of water until warm and dates are softened. This step can also be done on a stovetop, if you do not have or use a microwave.
- Once softened, mash the dates with the back of a fork until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine until smooth. Season with salt, to taste.
- Set aside mixture until squash is ready for the final step.
- Remove the softened squash from the oven and distribute the date-spice mixture evenly amongst the squash halves. Spread the mixture until the squash flesh is covered.
- Transfer baking sheet back to the preheated oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until squash is completely cooked.
RECIPE CREDIT: My little sister, Lauren, created this recipe a few weeks ago using spices I had on-hand. It's the perfect Fall side dish!