2 Large Artichokes, trimmed of outer leaves, stem, and prickly leaf tips (I use a serrated knife)
2 Heads of Garlic, cut in half horizontally to expose cloves (there is no need to peel)
1 Lemon, quartered
1 T. Olive Oil
2 T. Sea Salt
1 T. Black Pepper
- Find a pot, with a fitted lid, that will fit the artichokes side by side. Place the artichokes in the pot, bottom-side up.
- Add garlic, lemons, salt, and pepper to the pot and drizzle with olive oil. Add water to about 1/3 up the artichokes. Cover.
- Bring the water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Steam for 25 minutes (will depend on the size of your artichokes), or until a knife pierces the flesh easily.
- Use a slotted spoon (you can also use a spatula or regular spoon, you will just want to make sure that the water is drained) to remove the artichokes and drain excess water. Transfer to a plate or platter and sprinkle with fresh herbs, if desired.
- Serve with Homemade Mayonnaise (add fresh herbs to make it even more flavorful), Lemon Wedges, Thyme and Garlic-Infused Olive Oil, or Finely Shredded/Ground/Shaved Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese (if you eat dairy).
|The "Primal" Version|