Sunday, March 21, 2010

Paleo Apple Crisp

Serves 4
Apples:
Four Gala or Granny Smith Apples, peeled and small diced (1/4"x1")
1 T. Arrowroot Powder
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Nutmeg (I always buy whole nutmeg and grate, when needed)
1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
Dash of Sea Salt

Crisp Topping:
2 T. Coconut Oil, melted
1/2 C. Almond Flour (I used the raw almond meal...no need to use blanched here)
1/4 C. Ground Flax Seed
Handful of Walnut, ground
1/4 C. SlicedAlmonds
1/4 C. Dried, Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut
1 T. Pure Maple Syrup
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
Dash of Sea Salt

Mix all ingredients together.
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Toss together all ingredients, in a bowl.
  3. Rub four 8oz. ramekins with coconut oil.
  4. Toss together all ingredients, in a bowl and evenly distribute the mixture to the four ramekins.
  5. Top with crisp topping mixture.
  6. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until apples are soft and topping is golden brown.
  7. Serve with Coconut-Cinnamon Crema (or, if you're indulging a little, serve with this...like we did).
Coconut-Cinnamon Crema
Makes Four Servings

Ingredients:
4 T. coconut milk (regular, not reduced fat)
1 tsp. cinnamon
Drop of raw honey

Whisk all ingredients together.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Apple crisp is in the oven baking now and the house smells incredible!!! Took the recipe and made it into 12 mini crisps that way we can have a little treat and not undo our entire day. Thanks for another great recipe!!

jencereghino said...

Great idea...I like the way you think! :)

Nicole said...

Thanks for the recipe. Tried it last night with some minor modifications here & there (mostly bc I needed to have me some apple crisp & was lacking some ingredients at home). The end product was delicious! The cayenne pepper was a very good addition. Love the left overs: had some this morning with sheep yogurt for breakfast & 5hrs later, I am still feeling great.

Geeky Staci said...

I've tried many paleo apple crisps, but this one is the one I keep coming back to. The cayenne adds a nice zing, and the 1T maple syrup is just enough sweetness for the topping. My only changes are I leave out the arrowroot starch (didn't have it on hand the first time, and didn't seem to need it), and I add a little vanilla to the crisp topping. :)

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say thankyou for a great recipe. I am new to all this gluten free and paleo stuff. I need to change things and it is starting with me and hopefully the family will follow along.

I made my first almond butter!! Turned out wonderful, made this lovely recipe and it is delicious!!! Even my 2 year old loved it. She ate 1/4 of it!! I could eat the whole thing!!! Thanks again and I am going to try more of your recipes!! Keep up with the good work!! I look forward to seeing more of what you come up with!!!

I found a great ideas
Paleo Diet is a Must to Maintain Good Health
Salmon as the best paleo diet food
Spinach recipes are healthiest paleo diet recipes
A brief on Paleo diet food list

Blogger said...

3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

This means that you literally get rid of fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from large medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!