Saturday, February 25, 2012

Coconut Milk Coffee Creamer

While I don't require our members (of CrossFit Oregon City) to eat 100% Paleo, I do encourage them to make changes toward a less processed way of eating. We talk about food regularly, host Paleo potlucks often, and sell a variety (Well Fed, Make It Paleo, Paleo Comfort Foods, and Everyday Paleo) of cookbooks to encourage our members to experiment with a way of eating that has been life-changing for us (and many others). So far, it seems that the biggest struggle (other than bread) people have had was a dependence on their chemical-laden coffee creamer...and, they've discovered that canned, full-fat coconut is just not the same.

I've found that if I heat my coconut milk, add it to a blender, top with black coffee, whip until frothy, and top with cinnamon, I can create a latte-like concoction that satisfies my morning craving. But, some days I just want something a little more exciting (i.e. sweet), so I came up with this recipe:

Coconut Milk Coffee Creamer (makes 6-8 servings)
1 Can Full-Fat Coconut Milk (I like THIS brand)
3-4 Medjol Dates (pit removed)
1 Vanilla Bean*, scraped (you're using the seeds from inside the pod)

*Use 1T. Vanilla Extract (free of sugar, glycerin, or other junk), if you're using alcohol and not on a Whole30.

Optional Add-Ins:
-Cinnamon
-Pumkin Pie Spice
-Orange Zest
-Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  1. Add the dates, vanilla bean seeds/scrapings plus 1T. hot water to a blender and puree until smooth(ish).
  2. Add 1/4 of the can of coconut milk and blend until smooth (it's near impossible to create a completely smooth puree, so just be ok with the speckles of date).
  3. Add the remaining 3/4 can of coconut milk and blend. 
  4. Transfer mixture to a container and transfer to the fridge until ready to use.
Once refrigerated, the mixture will set to a whip cream-like consistency. Use as creamer or a topping for sliced berries.

7 comments:

Arsy said...

Yum! This sounds amazing! Can't wait to try it.

ct said...

What a good idea! Thanks so much!

Our Family of Four said...

OMG I have so missed my creamy morning coffee. This sounds amazing!

Lisa said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I missed my weekend latte. This is sooo yummy!!! What a great treat :)

leslielou said...

How long does this keep in the fridgek?

Unknown said...

I love the idea of using coconut to make coffee creamer! I bet that this is absolutely delicious! I have always wanted to find a healthy coffee creamer. I love coffee with cream, but I don't love all of the calories that the creamer has. http://www.bestlifeint.com/#!healthy-coffee-creamer/c12ui

Blogger said...

3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

This means that you literally burn fat by consuming coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!