Saturday, January 29, 2011

Breakfast Squash

Ingredients:
2 Delicata Squash, cut in half and deseeded
1T. Coconut Oil
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
6oz Ground Pork Breakfast Sausage (you can use any ground meat you like, just make sure it's flavorful)
4 Eggs, whisked (I use a blender to whip air into mine, but a bowl and whisk work just fine)
Ground Fennel and Fennel Fronds, for garnish (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 415F.
  2. Place squash on a baking sheet, skin-side down.
  3. Evenly distribute the coconut oil amongst the four squash halves and transfer the baking sheet to the oven to melt the oil, about 15 seconds.
  4. Remove the sheet from the oven  and spread the oil to coat the flesh of the squash (I use a pastry brush). Sprinkle each squash half with sea salt and cinnamon, evenly distributing the mixture. 
  5. Place the sheet back in the oven and bake until squash is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
  6. While squash is roasting, brown sausage and set aside. 
  7. Remove from oven and fill or let cool and refrigerate for future use.  
  8. Turn oven temperature down to 375F.
  9. Fill each squash with about 1.5oz of the browned sausage, to fill evenly.
  10. Top with whisked eggs and transfer back to the oven. 
  11. Bake until eggs are puffed slightly and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. 
  12. Sprinkle with ground fennel and fennel fronds or your favorite seasoning. Enjoy!
 

Steps 1-7 can be done in advance, making breakfast super simple to create. Just let the squash and meat cool, before storing in the fridge until ready to use (I would say up to a few days).

10 comments:

Smalls said...

this looks amazing...making it tomorrow!!

jencereghino said...

Nice! I made extras, for tomorrow's post-workout meal. YUM!!!

erinlo said...

Jen- I just made your sliders for dinner. Oh. My. Word. They were amazing. The kids were licking their fingers and my husband LOVED them. I really didn't expect the Paleo buns to be that good, but they were super tasty. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

jencereghino said...

So cool! I was pretty excited, myself! I'm going to make these for some friends, this weekend...I think they're going to freak out a little. :)

Shirley said...

I made these guys... pretty darn good. Mine didnt look as pretty as your.. but tasted amazing.

just curious, do you eat the skin?
I do :)

jencereghino said...

It's all about the garnish, Shirley! ;)

I definitely eat the skin! I actually made extras and just pull them out of the fridge, post-workout, and eat them with my hands, cold. So good!

Kent and Jenna said...

Hi Jen,
I love your blog! I've been secretly stalking it for a couple of months now, so I thought I should say hello. :) This breakfast recipe looks amazing, and I will be making it tomorrow. Quick question ... I noticed that some of your bread replacement recipes call for a lot of sesame seeds (like 1/4 cup). I've only been able to find the tiny 1 ounce spice jars at the store. I checked Sam's to see if they carried them in bulk, but had no luck. Where do you buy yours in large quantities?

jencereghino said...

Thanks for saying hello!

This breakfast was amazing and has become a post-workout snack, as well. Love it!

I found my bulk sesame seeds at Whole Foods and also Natural Grocers. You could try Central Market or a local health food store, if you don't have any of the above listed stores. You could also check online...I've bought macadamia nuts and other bulk items from Amazon.com.

I hope that helps!
Jen

Don't be a stranger! :)

Kent and Jenna said...

Thanks, I'll try Central Market! It's a good 35 minute drive from our small town, but always worth it to stock up on goodies. :)

Unknown said...

I thought this was meant to be egg free?