Monday, May 10, 2010

Air Force WOD

For time:
20 Thrusters (Rx)
20 Sumo Deadlift High Pull (SDLHP)
20 Push Jerk
20 Overhead Squats
20 Front Squats

Begin with four burpees and then four burpees on the minute, every minute. 
Rx Women/Men: 65/95lbs


13:45 


So, I decided to type up this blog post while the experience was still fresh in my head...and, legs...and arms...well...every inch of my body. This was a major blaster and, more than once, I contemplated quitting. I've only given up on one workout (I had just returned from an emotionally draining visit with family and just physically or mentally couldn't finish) and can think of two instances that took everything in me to finish (this one, "Erin", and this one, my first run-in with "Jackie")...so, it's not really in my nature to just give up. Well, today I was ready...but, I didn't and here's why:
  1. My trainer/friend wouldn't let me (I had just finished five OH Squats and decided that I'd rather be lying on my back than finishing this WOD. John comes over and asks, "Are you sick?", to which I reply, "No...just tired", to which he replies, "Okay then, you can finish this...do it". So, I picked up the bar and finished.). Thanks, John! 
  2. I have a training partner/friend who cheered me on and encouraged me through my last burpees and squats. Thanks, Becky! 
  3. When it all came down to it, I knew I would survive and I didn't really like the idea of walking out of the gym with an asterisk next to my name, or a DNF...so, I finished. 
This workout made me really appreciate the importance of camaraderie in the gym and the value of having friends to workout alongside you, cheer you on, and motivate you when you feel like you may not have it left in you to finish. It also made me remember a post I read a few months back (I can't seem to remember where I read it), about cleaning up after yourself post-WOD...yes, we all want a clean gym, but it is completely demoralizing to have people cleaning up around you, while you or another CrossFitter are putting forth every bit of effort just to finish. I think many times we are so glad to be finished, we just throw ourselves to the floor or find the nearest spot to sit down, without considering how this may effect those we workout alongside. And, yes...I have been guilty at least once.


So, the next time you have a choice to clean up your weights and go, or stick around a few minutes more to show support for another fellow CrossFitter, consider the impact you could have on those who show up to workout alongside you every day. Thoughts!?

And now, a really great video of the "Air Force WOD" from "The 2010 CrossFit Games MidWestern Sectionals". Enjoy!:

No comments: