Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Wednesday

Breakfast:
Three Eggs Scrambled w/EVOO

Snack:
Handful of Raw Almonds
Apple w/Organic SunButter 

Dinner:
Four Egg Frittata* w/No Salt Raincoast Sockeye Salmon (5.65oz), Frozen Butternut Squash (1 cup), Frozen Chopped Spinach (1 cup)

*I ate half of this frittata.

I pretty much always have Omega-3 Eggs in my fridge and the rest of the ingredients I had either in the freezer or my pantry. This is such an easy meal to throw together and, I think, tastes really good too. I had purchased a few different canned fish products for our trip to Cabo and had this particular brand of canned salmon leftover. In my opinion, the flavor was not quite as good (fresh versus canned salmon flavor) as the Wild Planet variety (which I LOVE!!!) I purchased for our trip. To be fair, the Raincoast brand I purchased contains bones and skin, which can alter the flavor a bit, while the Wild Planet did not. Raincoast offers a boneless, skinless sockeye salmon, but my Whole Foods did not carry it. On a positive note, the bones provide calcium that you would otherwise not benefit from with the boneless variety...

But, back to the frittata...here's what I did:

Frittata w/Salmon, Butternut Squash, and Spinach 
Serves 2

Ingredients
4-6 Omega-3 Eggs
5-7oz Can of Sockeye Salmon (look for a variety canned in water, with no salt)
1 cup Frozen Butternut Squash
1 cup Frozen Chopped Spinach
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. To a hot, oven-proof saute pan, add the frozen butternut squash and spinach (no oil is necessary). Cover with a lid and let steam over medium heat, until softened. 
  3. Once the veggies are thawed, add the rinsed canned salmon. Break up the salmon and evenly distribute the mixture about the pan.
  4. Add the whisked eggs to the pan and place the pan into the preheated oven. 
  5. Cook until eggs have set and frittata is puffed slightly, about 10-15 minutes depending on the size of pan (the larger the pan, the thinner the frittata, the shorter the cooking time).
  6. Remove from oven and serve. Frittata can be slid out of the pan and sliced or simply scooped. 
Sauteed and evenly distributed:

After pouring in the eggs:

The finished frittata:

No comments: