Monday, March 1, 2010

Paleo Coconut Macroons

Hail Merry's Blond Macaroons:

Scott and I were in Whole Foods yesterday and discovered these tasty treats, created by local (Dallas) raw food chef, Susan O'Brien. I love coconut and think that these little bite-sized treats are just perfect to have on hand for those occasional (like not every time you have a craving, once in a great while...everything in moderation...right!?) sweet cravings.

Upon returning home, I remembered that my Raw Food Real World cook(?)book had a recipe for macaroons, so being the experimenter that I am...I decided to whip up a batch. Here's what I did:

Paleo Coconut Macaroons 
(inspired by Hail Merry and RFRW)

1.5 C. dried, unsweetened shredded coconut
3/4 C. coconut flour (RFRW suggests blanched almond flour...I thought the coconut would be nice)
1/4 C. pure maple syrup (RFRW uses 1/2 C.)
3 T. coconut oil
1/2 T. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I added this, because the Hail Merry cookies contain cinnamon...good idea!)
  1. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, until well combined.
  2. Using a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon spoon, spoon rounds of the dough onto a cookie/cake rack lined baking sheet. 
  3. Cookies can be refrigerated and eaten at this point, or can be baked at 135F* (technically, to be "raw" you shouldn't heat over 115F, but my oven only goes down to 135F) until the cookies are crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle, about 1 hour. I baked mine and like them both ways.
*Cookies can also be dehydrated (using a screen) at 115F for 12-24 hours.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I made these, but I'm pretty sure there just isn't enough liquid for all of that coconut, especially the flour. Mine came out pretty dry and boring.

Blogger said...

3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

This means that you literally kill fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!