(this recipe is a modification of a Pancake recipe from
2 Large Eggs
1 T. Vanilla Extract
1/4 C. Water
1.5 C. Blanched Almond Flour
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 T. Arrowroot Powder
1/2 Apple (I used Gala), grated
1/4 C. Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut
Coconut Oil, for greasing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, honey, vanilla, and water, until smooth.
- Add the almond flour, salt, baking soda, arrowroot powder, and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly,
- Add apple and coconut. Mix to combine.
- Scoop or ladle (approximately 1/4 C.) into heated (and greased, if needed) waffle iron. Cook approxiamtely 1 minute*, or until golden brown.
- Serve with 1 T. warm maple syrup (use the real stuff).
These waffles are delicious!!! They will not produce that crispy outer crust that your normal, sugar-laden waffles provide, but they will offer a flavorful, soft, and satisfying breakfast option. Try these waffles (in moderation, of course), you will not be disappointed.
Other ideas/suggestions (obviously there are many, but here are a few):
-Substitute 1/2 C. Ground Flaxseed for 1/2 C. of the Almond Flour, for an extra boost of Omega-3
-Omit the apples and add 1/4 C. Frozen Blueberries and 1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger
-Omit the apples and add 1 Diced Banana and 1/4 tsp. of ground nutmeg