2lb Flank Steak (I think this is my new favorite cut of meat...YUM!)
1 T. Fennel Seeds, ground
1 T. Black Pepper
1/2 T. Sea Salt
2 T. Olive Oil
- Mix ground fennel seeds, sea salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Rub steak, all over, with olive oil. Spread the spice mix onto the steak and rub in, to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge and let marinate (2-24 hours), until ready to grill.
- When ready to grill, remove from the fridge and let sit will grill heats.
- Grill 5 minutes on one side and flip. Grill on other side for 3 minutes, for medium-rare.
- Remove steak from grill, transfer to a plate, and cover with foil, to rest (3-5 minutes).
- Slice about 1/2-3/4" thick, against the grain. Serve with Grilled Veggies* and Jicama Salad.
I found this recipe in the July/August issue of Food&Wine Magazine. I adjusted the seasoning just slightly.
*Grilled Veggies were a combination of baby Summer squash, halved and tossed with Olive Oil, Garlic Powder, and Northwoods Fire. I put them on a piece of foil and placed the foil onto the grill, without sealing the packet. While the steak rested, I moved them directly to the grill, to get grill marks and a little extra smokey flavor (I use a Weber with wood chunks to grill). The smaller you cut your veggies, the quicker they will grill.