1 Delicata Squash (you can use acorn, or another small winter squash), halved and seeded
1T. Coconut Oil
1/2tsp. Sea Salt
1tsp. Ground Cinnamon (optional)
1T. Coconut Oil
10-12oz of Ground Meat (I used a combination of pork sausage and buffalo)
1/2 Small Onion, chopped finely
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1 cup Finely Chopped Vegetables (I used a combination of zucchini and cauliflower, pulsed in my mini chopper)
1/4 cup Fresh Herbs (I used parsley and thyme), finely chopped, plus more for garnish
Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
1 Egg, lightly beaten
4 Bacon Slices, sliced into 1/2" pieces
Roasting the squash:
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Transfer squash to a baking sheet, coat with 1T. coconut oil, and season with cinnamon and salt.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until soft.
While squash is roasting, make stuffing:
- Heat a saute pan, over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and meat. Cook meat until browned.
- Add onion, garlic, and vegetables and toss to coat. Cook until all vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add fresh herbs and stir to combine. Remove from heat and set mixture aside to cool slightly.
- Add egg and stir to combine.
- Fill squash halves with mixture, top with bacon slices, and return to 400F oven (I cooked the squash on a cake/cookie-drying rack, but this is not necessary). Bake for 40-45 minutes, until bacon is browned and mixture is cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
|This squash was filled and then refrigerated overnight, so that all I had to do was bake.|
I roasted the squash in the morning, while my oven was still hot from my frittata; I let the squash cool and then put them in tupperware and into the fridge. My stuffing was something that I created for frittatas and was also in the fridge...I just added an egg to help it bind during baking. You can create any sort of mixture for your "stuffing" and can make extra to throw into your frittatas or scrambles for the week.