|Makes 4-6 Servings|
6 Slices Bacon, thinly sliced
1T. Dried Oregano
1 Small Onion (I used red, but use what you like), thinly sliced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1.5lb Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1" cubes
1/2lb Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
1- 14.5oz Can of Diced Tomatoes or Fire-Roasted Salsa
Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
1/4 cup Chopped Fresh Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F (not necessary if using a crock pot).
- In a dutch oven (or heavy pan, if using a crock pot) over medium heat, cook the bacon, turning often, until crisp, 5-7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a small plate.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and oregano and add to the hot pan (with bacon fat). Cook, turning once or twice, until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes.*
- Add the squash and spinach. Stir to combine. Place rosemary sprigs on top of mixture and return the chicken and any juices from the plate to the pan. Add tomatoes. Cover and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and serve with reserved bacon pieces and parsley.
*Transfer the chicken, onion, garlic and all remaining ingredients (except for bacon and parsley) to a crock pot, at this point.
|And, even better as leftovers!|
This is the perfect winter meal, with it's rustic flavors and heartiness...and, so easy!