(inspired by this recipe on "Five Ingredient Fix")
5lbs Sweet Potatoes, pricked with a knife
1lb Bacon, thinly sliced
1 Chipotle in Adobo, chopped, plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
2T. Pure Maple Syrup (omit if you'd like)
Zest of 1 Orange
3T. Fresh Orange Juice
1T. Ground Cinnamon
5 eggs, separated
Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roast the potatoes on sheet tray until fully cooked, about 1 hour. Set aside until cool enough to handle.*
- Meanwhile cook the bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels, reserving the rendered bacon fat.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and transfer to a food processor. Pulse to puree. Add the chopped chipotle, adobe sauce, maple syrup, orange juice and zest, and egg yolks. Mix together until combined. Transfer to a bowl, add 1/2 of the bacon, and stir to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- In a separate large bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add 1/3 of whipped egg whites to sweet potato mixture and fold to create a lighter base. Fold in remaining whites until just incorporated, leaving some white streaks.
- Grease a 2 quart baking dish with some of the reserved bacon fat and gently pour in sweet potato souffle mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped bacon. Put the baking dish on a sheet tray and bake 40 minutes.