Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Salmon w/Creamed Kale and Yams


1 lb. Wild Salmon Filet (we found some really tasty Copper River Salmon at Whole Foods) 
2 T. Honey
1 tsp. Ancho Chile Powder
1.5 tsp. Dijon Mustard

Glaze recipe from one of my favorites, Bobby Flay.
  1. Preheat a pan over medium-high heat. 
  2. In a small bowl, combine honey with the ancho chile powder and mustard and season with salt.
  3. Brush the salmon with oil and season with salt and pepper. 
  4. Cook the fish skin side up over moderately high heat until browned, about 3 minutes.
  5. Flip the fish, skin side down and brush with the chile-honey glaze. Cook skin side down for about 3 minutes.
  6. Flip one last time and cook skin side up until lightly caramelized, 3-5 minutes.
Skin side up (Step #4):

After Step #6 (salmon has been brushed with glaze and lightly caramelized):



This recipe took me 20 minutes, from start to finish. As my pans were preheating, I chopped my kale, thinly sliced my yams, rubbed my salmon with a little bit of oil, and mixed my glaze (that all took about 2-3 minutes). 

I emptied the can of coconut milk (I didn't use the chipotle peppers this time) into the preheated pan, added the chile powder and kale, tossed to combine, added the yams and a little sea salt, tossed again, and put a lid on it. Once that was simmering away, I placed the salmon into my hot pan and went to work...just make sure not to over cook it...you want it still pink in the middle. Easy! And..YUM!

3 comments:

Scott said...

Absolutely DELICIOUS!!! I am glad I bought these tasty items and had no idea how to cook them!!! Works out great in this house!!! I just plop down the whole foods bag and say "Jen, work your magic!!!"

jencereghino said...

Yeah...that's about how it went. Thanks for eating it, Scott...you're pretty great like that! :) Now, get back up to Oregon and catch us some Coho!!!

Blogger said...

3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!