Monday, January 11, 2010

Warming Winter Soup

Carrot Soup w/Ras el Hanout

Ingredients:
2lbs Carrots*, peeled and chopped
3 Celery Stalks (I used the leafy tops leftover from the celery I trimmed for snacks), chopped
1 Small Yellow Onion, peeled and chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic, peeled and smashed
1 T. EVOO
2 T. Ras el Hanout
4 Cups Vegetable or Low Sodium Chicken Stock, or Water
1/4 C. Coconut Milk, plus more for garnishing (if desired)
Sea Salt and Pepper, to taste

  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the carrots, onion, celery and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
  2. Add Ras el Hanout, stir to coat, and cook another 5 minutes. 
  3. Stir in the water or stock . Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
  5. Transfer the soup, in batches, if necessary, to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
  6.  Add coconut milk and blend. 
  7. Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and a light dusting of Ras el Hanout.
Makes Approximately One Quart

*This recipe would also be good with butternut squash, another winter squash, or yams.

I was inspired by a recipe for Ras el Hanout, I found on one of my favorite blogs, TheClothesMakeTheGirl. I check her (Melissa a.k.a. Melicious) site daily, as she offers an abundance of information, inspiration, and motivation. I enjoy her entertaining, yet thought-provoking writing style, and I think you will too.

No comments: