Sunday, January 10, 2010

Kale Chips..."Why Didn't I Try These Sooner!?"



 
 
Here's how you do it:


Ingredients:

12 large Lacinato kale leaves, rinsed, dried, cut lengthwise in half, center ribs and stems removed
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. sea salt (I used smoked salt...really good choice!)

Preheat oven to 250°F. Toss kale with oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt. Arrange leaves in single layer on 2 large, silpat or parchment lined, baking sheets. Bake until crisp, 30-40 minutes. Transfer leaves to rack to cool.



I've seen these little crispy treats on several occasions now, but finally decided to make up a batch tonight after seeing them again here (though a majority of her recipes aren't Paleo, her blog is beautiful...thank you, Mom for the introduction!). I'm so glad I did! I bought two batches of kale, Red and Lacinato (a.k.a "Dinosaur"), on my last trip to Whole Foods and have been grilling the red variety the past few days.

To be honest, I've been a little turned off by the idea of consuming kale after years of garnishing a salad bar with it. My first job, at 15, had me working at a local pizza parlor...and one of my many daily tasks was the set-up and/or break-down of the salad bar- a task that included first rinsing off any ranch dressing that may have dribbled onto the leaves and then layering them in between my perfectly placed dressing and topping containers. So, even though I was fully aware of the nutritional benefits of kale, I couldn't help but think of it as merely a salad bar garnish...

My first real experience with kale was at Basta's in Portland, OR. I enjoyed their grilled kale and knew at that point I would be incorporating it into my diet on a more regular basis. And, now after finally trying "Kale Chips", I'm hooked!

No comments: