Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Eve

The tradition in our family is to eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day...a tradition that sort of peaked my interest and got me thinking about other "Lucky Foods" we might add to our good luck arsenal. I've been a Martha Stewart fan for a lot of years and knew she could help me out. Here's what I found.

*Warning: The meals you are about to view are not Paleo!

And, this is what I made:

(Scott's Meal)



 Heirloom Lettuce w/Roasted Beets, Seared Scallops, Goat Cheese, and Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette
 (My meal)

 


Twelve Grapes at Midnight



So, to break it down...Scott ate pork (because of its fat, it is served to bring a New Year rich with happiness), I had scallops (I'm not sure if this will prove to offer me any extra luck, but this site says that fish is lucky...and regardless of their luck-inspiring powers, they taste really great), I ate the beet greens leftover from my roasted beets (their green leaves look like folded money, and are thus symbolic of economic fortune), and we both ate our twelve grapes at the stroke of midnight...I'm pretty sure I chowed mine down within the first twelve seconds! As for the Apple Tart Tatin...it may be far-fetched, but apples are circular...right!? And finally, for New Year's Day...we will be eating black-eyed peas. Not Paleo, but I'll only be eating enough to get the good luck flowing...because January 1, I'm back on track! Hopefully, all of this eating will bring us good luck in the New Year! :)

No comments: