Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

This is my new daily routine to add to my regular CrossFit workouts:
Jog Two Miles
~and~

100 Push Ups
100 Squats
100 Sit Ups

My WOD weakness continues to be running, so I'm taking it on...I WILL improve my "Helen" time and will hopefully one day enjoy running (if not enjoy, possibly not dread). In the meantime, I will follow my routine each morning and continue to CrossFit at night. I will also be setting monthly goals for myself...as I feel it will be more realistic for me, than a bunch of goals set for the entire year.

My February 1st Goal:
Run a 5K in under 25 Minutes

Brunch:
Poached Eggs (One Egg and Two Egg Whites)

Dinner:
Spaghetti Squash w/Tomato and Basil


Spaghetti Squash w/San Marzano Tomatoes and Basil

This was my first time using spaghetti squash. I usually approach food with an open mind, but was a little skeptical of the idea that spaghetti squash would taste even remotely like pasta...I was proven wrong. While it does not mimic the tender homemade noodles that I make myself, I will say that it could easily replace boxed spaghetti, given the right sauce. So, here's what I did:

I put the spaghetti squash in a pot and covered it with cold water. I then covered it with a lid and boiled it for about 45 minutes, until fork tender. I took it out of the pot, cut it in half lengthwise, removed the seeds, and then scooped out all of the noodle-like squash strands. There are other ways that the squash can be cooked; this is just the way I chose to do it. The picture below is just to show what the squash looks like:


 (Picture from Williams-Sonoma.com)

*The nice thing about this squash is that it can be cooked in advance and reheats really nicely. It has a really neutral flavor and can be used for most spaghetti/pasta recipes or as a base for curries, as well.

CrossFit Workout:
Jog Two Miles
~and~

100 Push Ups
100 Sit Ups
100 Squats

No comments: