Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wednesday

Breakfast:
Toasted "Nutty Bread" w/Two Poached Eggs
1/2 Apple

Lunch:
Grilled Shrimp
Broccoli-Cauliflower Soup

Last night I made two batches of soup; one being the Broccoli-Cauliflower soup that I had for lunch and the other a Celery Root Soup (see a picture of this gnarly looking root within yesterday's post). Prep time was about five minutes, sweating of the vegetables about five, and the cooking process about 20-25 minutes of simmering (just put a lid on and simmer over medium-low heat). Once the vegetables are cooked through (fork tender), the entire mixture can go into the blender or food processor to puree. I made enough soup to last me throughout the week. Just take the soup out and reheat while your protein is cooking.

Dinner:
Seared Scallops w/Butternut Squash-Beet Puree, Sauteed Spinach, and Watercress Pesto


*TIP: I prepped (washed, peeled, chopped, and put into tupperware containers) all of my veggies last night to make meal preparation a lot quicker.

I tossed a handful of butternut squash and another of beets with 1 T. of olive oil and then roasted them for about 15 minutes at 400F. Once I took them out of the oven I added them to my mini chopper (food processor) and pureed them with a couple of tablespoons of water, to produce a creamy texture. While the veggies were pureeing, I heated my pan and seared the scallops in 1 tsp. of EVOO. Once cooked through (about 3 minutes on the first side, one on the other for jumbo scallops), I set them aside and tossed two huge handfuls of spinach into the hot pan (takes about 30 seconds to cook down) and squeezed a wedge of lemon over the top. I then assembled my meal and drizzled the plate with a little Watercress Pesto.

No comments: