Thursday, October 8, 2009

Paleo Day 25

Breakfast:
Toasted "Nutty Bread" w/Two Eggs Over Easy

Lunch:
I don't make a habit of skipping lunch, but was running around doing projects today and didn't make time...so...I was really hungry come dinner time!

Dinner:
Seared Scallops w/Cauliflower Puree and Sauteed Spinach
Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Carrots
Red Leaf Lettuce w/Tomato, Cucumber, Avocado, Sunflower Seeds, and Lemon-EVOO Vinaigrette

My friend Julie came over for dinner tonight, so I decided to treat her to a Paleoified (I know that's not actually a word...) meal. She's not a huge seafood fan, so I made a Williams-Sonoma recipe that I like, Chicken with Forty Garlic Cloves. Since I was making a single serving (I didn't want to wreak havoc on her breath...and, also for Keith's sake), I only added about ten cloves...but here's the recipe:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/recipedetail.cfm?objectid=9974D9F6%2DFB22%2D4775%2DA7BCB48E6A66E5C8

*Using skin-on thigh meat and/or drumsticks allows you to slow cook this meal on the stove (in a dutch oven or in a crock pot), rather than 'babysitting' it, as you likely would with breast meat (which has a tendency to dry out the longer you cook it, rather than tenderize and fall of the bone)...it is also usually much less expensive. When ready to serve, remove the chicken and sear the skin in a hot, olive oil drizzled, saute pan until browned and crispy.

To make this recipe Paleo-friendly, I omitted the butter. I also added organic, local cauliflower (I found this really cool orangish variety at Whole Foods) to the pot about 15 minutes before we were ready to eat; once it was cooked, fork tender, I pureed the cauliflower in my mini chopper and added a little EVOO and sea salt...good to go! A perfect substitution for potatoes! I served the chicken, with a little of the pan sauce, over the cauliflower puree.

Dessert:
Mango, Berry, and Orange Sorbet from Paciugo

Julie brought over some really great sorbet from the local gelateria, Paciugo. Yum!!! I'm pretty sure that their version has some added sugar...usually sorbet, unless homemade contains fruit, water, sugar, and usually a little lemon, so this would be considered a little cheatish...but, no dairy, so I should be okay on the digestive front! :)

CrossFit Workout:
Rest/Project Day

No comments: