Sunday, September 20, 2009

Paleo Day 7

Breakfast:
3 Scrambled Eggs w/Sliced Tomato

If you've ever visited a Cracker Barrel Restaurant, you know that eating Paleo can be quite difficult...but, I am happy to say that we had an incredibly accommodating waitress who made it all work.

Lunch:
Red Leaf Lettuce Wrapped Wild Coho Salmon w/Avocado, Heirloom Tomato, Olive Oil, and Lemon
Sliced Heirloom Tomatoes w/Basil-Pistachio Pesto
Smoothie

Snack:
Banana Bread Lara Bar

Dinner:
Red Leaf Lettuce Wrapped Wild Coho Salmon* w/Lemon Juice
Jasmine Pearl Tea

Tip: I grilled up this salmon the other night and have been using it for easy lunch and dinner options...tastes great and is so incredibly good for me! Bonus...Scott caught it off the Oregon coast (July fishing trip with his uncle Rick and friend John).

The most difficult aspect of this lifestyle, for me, has been the elimination of grains and legumes. I enjoy a small amount of rice with my sushi, love Mexican food with black beans, and like an occasional serving of lentils. I don't eat a lot of bread, so that hasn't' been too problematic, but a piece of toast is kind of nice with an over easy egg in the morning.

I don't eat very much pasta, but a recent visit (last weekend...pre Paleo) with my Mom had us eating home-made pasta, with garden-fresh sauce, scallops, and shrimp. This meal was incredibly fresh and delicious! So, with this particular dish as my inspiration, I decided to experiment with homemade almond flour pasta (using almond flour, egg, olive oil, and ice water)...after a little trial and error I created a pasta dough that was similar in look and texture, but that wouldn't roll through the pasta roller and which tasted like boiled almonds when finally cooked...not good. In the future, I may stick to thinly sliced zucchini for my mock pasta. But, this experimentation was not without some inspiration...I will be testing this dough as a base for an heirloom tomato and basil tart this week. More on that to come...

Workout:
10 Deadlifts (95lbs)
10 Thrusters (45lbs)

Just because I was feeling a little guilty and saw the weights just sitting there...not a workout per se, but better than nothing...

No comments: