Thursday, June 2, 2011

Whole30: Day 3

“I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it” ~ Mae West
I recently attended a "Paleo Talk" seminar, hosted by Sarah Fragoso of Everyday Paleo (she is an incredible speaker with some great information to share, by the way). At one point, during her talk, she brought up the subject of "willpower", to which she said, "Willpower is silly"...and, I totally agree. Your home is not a place that should test your willpower, which is why I feel it is also not a place that you should have foods (or 'foods') that may tempt or test you. You will only harbor resentment for said food and will likely do one of two things- (1) Justify it's consumption and then later feel sick with guilt (or maybe just a stomach ache) or (2) Be "stronger" than the food and then think about all of the reasons that you shouldn't eat it and all of the reasons why this stupid "diet" is "ruining" your life.

Here's the thing- I know my limits and I know that if I have a pint of Haagen Daz Vanilla Ice Cream in my home...I will eat it. And, I may even make this:
Yes, that's Ice Cream+Bacon (Double Whammy!)
And, why would I ever do that to myself? So, I don't. I don't keep ice cream around and if we decide we're going to have it, we either go out and get a scoop or we get a pint knowing that we'll finish it...knowing that it's a treat. Bacon is another weakness...if I open up a pound of bacon and cook it, I will eat it. I honestly don't know how I do it without feeling totally ill, but I do. So, I buy bacon pretty rarely, knowing that I will likely eat the entire pan (doesn't happen every time, but often enough to know it could become a problem). And, for me, it's more of a salt/sodium issue than anything. Read here, here, and here for a few more thoughts on bacon. 

Honestly...just looking at this picture makes me crave ice cream. And, by the way...today, I went grocery shopping and really wanted a Kombucha...I was craving a fermented drink with a really weird phlegm-like substance floating around the bottle...funny. Darn sugar. But speaking of food, this is what I ate today:

Breakfast
Smoky Salmon (8oz) w/Yam (1/2 small, microwaved) and Coconut-Lime Crema

Lunch:
1.5 Cups Leftover "Better Butter Chicken" (click here to view modifications) w/Coconut-Lime Crema

Snack:
Scoop of Coconut Butter

Dinner:
Spaghetti Squash w/Roasted Vegetable-Meat Sauce* (1.5 cups; about 6oz of Beef+Pork)


*I'll have a recipe posted tomorrow. I made a huge batch and froze it, so that I would have easy meals throughout the next week.



What is your weakness? Do you keep it in your home and "test your willpower"? 

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

My #1 weakness is a tie between ice cream and dark chocolate (one arguably a tiny bit "healthier" than the other). I share your "if I buy it and bring it into my house I will eat it" mentality. Absolutely 100% that is how my brain operates.

I NEVER ever ever buy ice cream but before Whole 30 I would buy a bar of dark chocolate and nibble on it during the week. Now that Whole 30 is on like Donkey Kong, I haven't brought it into the house whatsoever.

By the way, your lunch and my dinner...identical...even down to the crema. Two peas is right (though I fully admit to stealing your recipes)!

Marinka said...

My weakness; potato chips.. Sometimes I just feel like I won't get any rest unless I eat potato chips. That's why I never keep it in my home, I probably wouldn't be able to resist. And home-made almond flour cookies are very hard to resist as well! (I sometimes eat the whole batch..) Your recipes look great by the way!

Suehaad said...

What?! No kombucha! It has so little sugar and so few carbohydrates:)

Julie Petro said...

Chocolate is really the big one for me and when I get serious about not eating it I don't keep anything other than cocoa powder in my house. Nothing convenient to nibble on, in other words.

I agree with you and Sarah about willpower and discipline. IMHO here are TONS of places where using lots of discipline is critical: in my career goals, in my housekeeping, in my workouts, etc. etc. But using too much discipline in my diet sort of kills the joy of life for me. I'm not talking about periodic discipline, like the kind of discipline it takes to get new eating habits going. But for the most part, I prefer to just not keep that stuff around, and to focus on creative strategies that keep me on track. Throwing some blueberries and nuts and a sparkly water in my bag on my way to a movie is a good example of this. Never go without a snack! :)

jencereghino said...

Stephanie~ Peas are ok, if in the pod, so...we're good! And, steal my recipes anytime! ;)

Marinka~ I can't even go down that path...potato chips have been out for me since I can't remember when. I remember a beer festival in which I consumed an entire bag of Jalapeno Kettle Chips (my favorite)...I haven't eaten them since. Dangerous!

modspil~ Hmmm...odd. I don't know what to say.

Suehaad~ No kombucha for the Whole30 (only 30 days)...I would usually drink it, because yes the sugar is minimal.

Julie~ Great feedback! I totally agree! :)

jencereghino said...

modspill~ Is it still happening? My husband said something about Google being hacked, maybe that has something to do with it? Is this the feed that you are using:

feed://jensgonepaleo.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Hmmm...I am so not techi, but I'll see if I can figure out what's up. I'd like you to be able to read my blog. ;)

Our home little Idaho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisbeth said...

This is the feed, I'm using:

http://jensgonepaleo.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

So the very same I guess. I'm really not very techi either. Haha.

I only got all those weird extra posts from a different blog with your feed this morning. Nothing like it has happened since. I was just worried, that you had been hacked or something.

Jessie said...

Chips are my weakness, so they are in NO way allowed in my house, or I will eat them up! I can test my willpower when we go out to dinner, but my home should be my safehaven.

barb said...

hi Jen

for ice cream - i now make Apartment Therapy's famous one ingredient ice cream - frozen bananas - sometimes i pour some coconut milk in as well - no sugar, no dairy - carbs yes from the banana but it satisfies! - I ve flavored it with espresso, vanilla, and cocoa - all are good.