2- 1lb Lamb Shanks
3T. Bacon Fat (or Coconut Oil or Olive Oil or Ghee)
1T. plus 1 tsp. Ground Fennel
2 tsp. Sea Salt
1 Yellow Onion, thinly sliced
3 Cloves of Garlic, minced (or 1T. Garlic Powder)4-6 Carrots, peeled and sliced into 1" chunks (I like to slice diagonally)
1T. Wild Porcini Mushroom Sea Salt*
1 tsp. Ground Fennel
3T. Tomato Paste
1- 14.5oz Can of Chopped Tomatoes (and their juices)
2 Large Handfuls of Chopped Chard
Fresh Parsley and Lemon Zest, for garnish
*You can also use a combo of Ground Dried Porcini Mushrooms and Sea Salt or just use 2 tsp. Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a large Dutch oven generously with 2T. bacon fat and bring to a medium-high heat. Season the shanks generously with the 2T. sea salt and 1T. fennel, and add them to the pan. Brown well on all sides.
- Remove the shanks from the pan to plate. Discard the excess fat from the pan. Add the remaining 1T. oil to coat the bottom of the pan and add the onions, garlic, and carrots. Season with 1T. Wild Mushroom Salt and remaining 1 tsp. Ground Fennel. Saute the veggies until they are softened and slightly brown.
- Add the tomato paste and brown for 5 minutes. Add chard and tomatoes and toss to coat.
- Add the shanks back to the pot. Cover and put in the preheated oven. The cooking time will be about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Turn the shanks over about halfway through the cooking time. Check the shanks every 45 minutes or so. If the liquid has reduced too much add more water.
- When the shanks are done the meat should be incredibly tender and flavorful. Transfer to serving plates. Serve with veggies and garnish with fresh parsley and lemon zest.