Saturday, December 12, 2009

Paleo(ish) Chocolate Cupcakes


These cupcakes were made following Elana's Chocolate Cake recipe, from here Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. YUM! I say that they are Paleoish because I used a baking bar (for the frosting only**) that contains Raw Cane Sugar and Soy Lecithin (neither are considered Paleo). While I don't often eat sugary treats, or desserts, I think that these would be a nice addition to a Paleo entertaining menu...what a great way to introduce your friends and family to the possibilities of Paleo!

**Omit the chocolate frosting and, instead, frost with raspberry puree (no sugar) and a dusting of shredded coconut to make a Paleo-friendly treat (agave, in moderation, seems to be okay). I just wanted to experiment with coconut milk ganache...

Once again, this cookbook is awesome and should be purchased!!!

Chocolate Cake 
(from The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook)

2 Cups Blanched Almond Flour
1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder (I used Green & Black's Organic Fair Trade Cocoa Powder)
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 Cup Agave Nectar (1/4 C. raw honey)
2 Large Eggs
1 T. Vanilla Extract

For the Frosting/Ganache:
(makes enough frosting for 12 cupcakes)

1/4 cup coconut milk
1 T. coconut oil
4 oz. Green & Black's Organic Chocolate Baking Bar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a saucepan, melt all ingredients over low heat. Whisk until combined.

Cupcakes can be dipped into, or drizzled with, the chocolate ganache. The cupcakes tend to drop a little in the middle, while cooling, so I added a small scoop of raspberry puree and then drizzled the top with my "frosting". The other cupcakes I dipped into the chocolate and sprinkled with shredded coconut or just left unfrosted.

No comments: