Monday, August 17, 2009

Raw Day 2

Breakfast:
Smoothie made with Young Coconut water, almond milk, pineapple, mango, and bananas

Lunch:
Zucchini and Heirloom Tomato Lasagna
w/basil-pistachio pesto, tomato sauce, and macadamia "ricotta" (p.173 of RFRW)


I think if there was one recipe that could convert me to full time raw food eating, this would be it. As time-consuming as this recipe was to make, it produces enough sauce to create three or four more healthy portions. Yes, I realize that this is my first real recipe, but the flavors were incredible. I didn't know how I would feel about the raw zucchini, but the thin slicing from the mandolin gave them a noodle-like texture in this dish. From the creaminess of the macadamia nut ricotta (pureed macadamia nuts, lemon juice, sea salt, and nutritional yeast) to the freshness of the pistachio-basil pesto, every ingredient in this dish worked! I would take this over the cooked version any day.

Dinner:
Soft Corn Tortillas
w/spicy "beans", avocado guacamole, and tomato-lime salsa (p. 187 of RFRW)



The first thing I have to say about these tacos...my carnivorous husband liked them! Although, to his credit...he does eat veggies these days. As far as the recipe goes, the tortillas are ground corn, red bell peppers, flax seeds and a few others bits and spices, which are then spread into a thin layer and dehydrated. Once I cut out the circles, I broke up the remnants and dehydrated them a bit longer to make chips. Tasty! The "beans" are a base of ground up soaked sunflower seeds and sun-dried tomatoes (I found these in the produce section at Whole Foods) with a bunch of other good flavors, that once ground and slightly dehydrated actually taste like beans! One last touch, the "sour cream"...actually coconut meat, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, cashew nuts, and water...not exactly sour cream per se, but a nice tang for these tacos.

I'm telling you...this book RAW FOOD REAL WORLD is awesome!

CrossFit Workout:
.5 Mile Jog
~and~
Three Rounds of :
50 Push Ups
20 Lunges (Carrying 25lb Overhead)
~and~
Tabata Sit Ups (Eight Rounds-20 seconds on/10 seconds off)
12 (Total of 97 w/ 13 the first round)

No comments: